For this week, I had Dr Emmy Graber, a dermatologist and Director of the Boston University Cosmetic and Laser Center at Boston Medical Center. Think of this episode as your private info session to pick your favorite dermatologist’s brain (AHEM…I DID pick her brain, so you can have the benefit of seeing her favorite general “regimen” that she thinks everyone that wants great skin should be using! Read below for that, or watch parts 1 and 2).
Also–have you ever wondered what actually HAPPENS when someone gets an injection in their skin of either the wrinkle fillers (Restylane, Perlane, etc) or Botox and Dysport? Watch Part 3 of the video to find out (and caution before watching if you have a thing against needles!!!)
Dr Graber’s Regimen: Remember, introduce one product into your regimen at a time–dont start with more than that, or you’ll wind up with irritated and angry skin.
- Cleanser– Great to use a gentle cleanser (she loved Cetaphil, purpose, or Cerave), especially if you are using the products below, which can be drying
- Vitamin A Derivative (Retin-A, Renova)–use only a pea-size amount at night, and if you find it drying, use only 2-3 times a week.
- Glycolic Acid– can use as a wash or lotion, and is a great way to exfoliate. Once you’ve gotten well-established with the Vitamin A product, then you can start introducing this into your regimen (It can be irritating, so start slowly). You can alternate it on nights that you dont use the Vitamin A (Retin-A/Renova) product.
- Vitamin C-based serum– Dr Graber pointed out that this is one product in which paying a little bit more money may get you a better product (she debunked many of the other expensive potions and lotions!)
- Sunscreen–SPF 30 or higher, broad spectrum, EVERY DAY. Whether cloudy or not!
By the way, are you furrowing your brow as you’re reading this? Stop that. You’ll just give yourself wrinkles 🙂