0
shares
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+
What's This?

It’s Halloween time! Do you know what to do if your child swallows one of the button batteries from their flashlight or costume? Are glowsticks poisonous? I answered your top safety questions today on Fox News Boston.

Click HERE to watch the clip.

For more resources, go to:

Remember:

  1. If your child swallows a button battery, magnet, or coin, you should go to the ER or see your doctor.  Button batteries are ESPECIALLY dangerous and sometimes even have to be removed, as they can release acid.
  2. In the ER, we have lots of tricks to get that bead out of your child’s nose! Including the method I mentioned in studio–but don’t try this without physician supervision
  3. If a glowstick leaks onto your child’s skin, eyes, or if they eat it, call the Poison Control Hotline 1-800-222-1222 immediately and start to irrigate the skin or eyes
  4. If your child has any allergies, be EXTREMELY cautious with them trick-or-treating.  I like to put a big SIGN on their treat bag, and go with them so you can stop anyone from inadvertently giving them something dangerous
  5. As always, inspect the treats before your child eats them–especially be cautious with nuts and hard candy, which can be choking hazards in little ones
  6. Avoid Halloween costumes that are not “flame-retardant” or “non-flammable”.  If your child does get a burn from a candle or other flame, remove the costume immediately and rinse under ROOM TEMPERATURE tap water immediately.  If it involves the face, hand, groin, goes all the way around a limb,  or has big blisters, you’d need to see a doctor
  7. Stomach-ache from all that Halloween candy? First of all, make sure that they have a good dinner before trick-or-treating–it will make them less likely to over-eat.  Then limit how much they can eat when they get home.  If they do over-do it, a little water and Children’s maalox can be helpful.
  8. PREVENTION! I see so many children around Halloween because they injured their eye on sharp objects, ate something they shouldn’t have, or had injuries from walking on the streets in the dusk.   A little bit of protection can make sure that you and your family spend Halloween worrying about haunted houses and goblins–and not the Emergency Department!
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+

2 Comments

  1. thanks for your support in our child health problems, nice content and meaning full information. 🙂

  2. A good diet also improves heart health and reduced the risk for diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular diseases.

Leave a Reply