(note, can eat this ANY time–I almost always make it anytime after my family has ham).
Prep: 15 minutes / Cook: 3 hours (Or more. You cant go wrong here).
- 1 1/2 c split peas (fast-cooking)
- 1 onion (cut into eighths)
- 1 bunch celery (cleaned, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces)
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- My mom’s recipe calls for “lots of ham”. I typically use the remaining ham bone from a spiral cut ham, and then about 1 pound ham.
- Toss in all ingredients (yes, this is another one of THOSE recipes. I have a pattern).
- Bring to a boil, then put on lid, and simmer 2-3 hours, until peas are soft.