It’s getting colder, which means it’s time to pull out some of my favorite soups! I absolutely love this spin on minestrone, mixed with italian sausage and fall veggies.
- 8 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. (500 g) mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and coarsely diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (each 14 oz./440 g) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (32 fl. oz./1 l) chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs (or can used dried rosemary in a pinch – I won’t judge)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 4 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the sausage and sauté, breaking it into pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) of the Parmesan, the rosemary sprigs and lemon juice. Cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Add some delicious crusty rolls or a loaf of bread, and you’re done!
Slightly modified from the original recipe at Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen – a big thanks to them for this recipe!